Welcome to Year 1
This term Year 1 are learning about:
Bright Lights, Big City (London)
In response to the ongoing situation, we have decided to make PhonicsPlay free to use during this period.
Children can use the site at home without their parents needing to subscribe. To access our resources all you need to do is log on using the following details.
Our aim to ensure that existing subscribers aren’t disadvantaged and will seek to make sure that after the school closures are over and the site returns to normal, that existing subscribers have additional time added to their subscription. If you haven’t already discovered www.phonicsplaycomics.co.uk you may also find these free decodable comics useful at a time when you can’t physically exchange your children’s decodable reading books.
We wish you good health and all the very best at this stressful time.
RWI Phonics lessons at home from Monday 23rd March
We’re scheduling free Read Write Inc. Phonics lessons on Facebook and YouTube for children to watch at home; three short Speed Sound lessons with one of our trainers every day for the next two weeks. Films will only be available at the times below:
Set 1 Speed Sounds at 9.30 am and again at 12.30 pm
Set 2 Speed Sounds at 10.00 am and again at 1.00 pm
Set 3 Speed Sounds at 10.30 am and again at 1.30 pm
Note: films are streamed live and won’t be available at other times.
Please share with RWI schools and parents.
What are the main topics?
Term 1 - Bright Lights, Big City (London)
Term 2 - Memory Box
Term 3 - The Scented Garden
Term 4 - Moon Zoom
Term 5 - Wriggle Crawl
Term 6 - Muck, Mess and Mixtures
Who will support my learning?
Class Teachers: 1T - Miss Tugwell, 1WH - Mrs Wilson and Mrs Hilton
Teaching Assistants: Mrs Fooks and Mrs Lethbridge
When do I need my kit?
PE kit is white T shirt, shorts or joggers (Blue or black), trainers or plimsols.
Our PE day is Monday.
This year, as part of our Covid safety measures, rather than wearing their uniform to school on a Monday, we would like the children to come to school wearing their PE kit and their school jumper or cardigan. They can stay in their kit the whole day (there is no need to send in their uniform). Hopefully this will give us a longer session for P.E!
What else do I need to know about Year 1?
- I will need to read each day and make sure that my reading record is completed by an adult.
- I will change my reading book each day.
- I start to join my handwriting.
- I will have a lot of fun!
Homework and Reading
During Term 1 your child will have:
- 5 x weekly spellings. These will be put on Microsoft Teams. We’ll give you lots of fun ideas of how you can help your child to read and spell these words. They will not be tested formally. We will instead be assessing whether they are using them correctly within their writing.
- Reading daily from the RWI book or ‘ditty’ that they will bring home. The book will be familiar to them as it will have been taught in class. The idea is that they shouldn’t struggle with it, to build reading fluency and confidence.
Reading diaries will be checked weekly on a Wednesday.
Children read daily during Read Write Inc Phonics sessions.
Your child will be heard reading 1:1 at least once a term.