Welcome to Year 1
This term Year 1 are learning about:
The Enchanted Woodland
Who will support my learning?
Class Teachers: 1BC - Mrs Boorer and Mrs Hilton, 1T - Miss Tugwell
HLTAs: Mrs Anderson, Mrs Piper and Ms Woolley
Teaching Assistants: Mrs Blatchford, Mrs Dennis, Mrs Lethbridge and Mrs Longley
What are the main topics?
Term 1 - The Enchanted Woodland
Term 2 - Memory Box
Term 3 - Moon Zoom!
Term 4 - The Scented Garden
Term 5 - Wriggle Crawl
Term 6 - Muck, Mess and Mixtures
When do I need my kit?
PE kit is white T shirt, shorts or joggers (Blue or black), trainers or plimsols.
Our PE day is Monday.
This year, as part of our Covid safety measures, rather than wearing their uniform to school on a Monday, we would like the children to come to school wearing their PE kit and their school jumper or cardigan. They can stay in their kit the whole day (there is no need to send in their uniform). Hopefully this will give us a longer session for P.E!
What else do I need to know about Year 1?
- I will need to read each day and make sure that my reading record is completed by an adult.
- I will change my reading book each day.
- I start to join my handwriting.
- I will have a lot of fun!
Homework and Reading
During Term 1 your child will have:
- 5 x weekly spellings. These will be put on Microsoft Teams. We’ll give you lots of fun ideas of how you can help your child to read and spell these words. They will not be tested formally. We will instead be assessing whether they are using them correctly within their writing.
- Reading daily from the RWI book or ‘ditty’ that they will bring home. The book will be familiar to them as it will have been taught in class. The idea is that they shouldn’t struggle with it, to build reading fluency and confidence.
Reading diaries will be checked weekly on a Wednesday.
Children read daily during Read Write Inc Phonics sessions.
Your child will be heard reading 1:1 at least once a term.
The PhonicsPlay website (that we subscribe to in school) has made their resources free to parents during this time. Their site is packed with wonderful phonics resources that the children are used to using in school. Just go to their site (www.phonicsplay.co.uk) and enter these details. Username: jan21 and Password: home. I hope this is of use. Best wishes from Mrs Hilton.
Find our RWI phonics films on our Goosewell YouTube channel. All of the films are organised by the colour of the group and are numbered in the order that they should be watched. One a day.
They can also access Ruth Miskin films on YouTube to practise set 1, 2 and 3 sounds, learn to read red words and practise reading and writing using hold a sentence. All lessons will show at 9.30am each day and then be available for 24 hours. Remember, if your child is in A/B, C, Ditty or Red they need to access set 1 sounds. If they are in green, purple or pink then they need to work through the set 2 sounds and for children in orange, yellow, blue, grey or the reading comprehension group, they need to focus on set 3 sounds.
Please go to the 'Oxford Owl' website
to find eBooks that are relevant to your child's age and RWI colour group.
Please keep reading and sharing books at home. It's so important.
If you need help, please email me on email@example.com and I'll do my best to support you. Kind regards, Mrs Hilton.